Before looking at the differences between DHI and FUE technique, let us list the most popular hair transplantation methods. We have been facing three methods since the beginning of hair transplantation applications. Those methods can be listed as follows:
1. FUT: Follicular Unit Transplantation
2. FUE: Follicular Unit Extraction
3. DHI: Direct Hair Implantation
What is FUT?
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) is a hair transplantation technique which was introduced in the 90s, based on the principle of removing the hair follicles from the donor area as a strip and sowing them in the channels opened in the planting area. The FUT method is a technique that is almost no longer used with the development of technology in hair transplantation operations. Therefore, we will not cover this method in this article.
What is FUE?
In the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) method, the hair follicles are taken under local anesthesia with special tipped micro motors and placed in the balding areas considering the natural hair exit angle and direction.
What is DHI?
DHi (Direct Hair Implantation) is the process of removing the donor area (the area where the hair is taken) with special needles made for DHI and placing it in the area to be planted with the same needle within 1-2 minutes.
What Are The Differences Between FUE and DHI?
- The first point draws attention between FUE and DHI method is the difference in application methods.
- In the FUE technique, 3000-4500 grafts can be transplanted in one session and in DHI technique 1500-2500 grafts can be transplanted in one session.
- The recovery time in DHI technique is a little shorter than FUE technique and bleeding is almost negligible.
- The FUE technique is ideal for planting a larger area, while the DHI method is the ideal method for sowing more frequently.
- FUE technique has to shave hair. In DHI technique, it is enough to shave the donor area.
- Since the cost of the equipment used in the DHI method is higher and the team is more crowded, the cost is slightly higher, FUE can be done more cost-effectively.
- While the FUE technique lasts between 6-8 hours, the DHI method is slightly longer.
The DHI method also uses the FUE method for the collection of grafts. In DHI hair transplantation, grooving and placement of the grafts are performed simultaneously with the implantable pen. This pen allows both the opening of the channel and the placement of the hair follicle in one go.
In a 3000 graft sowing with the standard FUE method, 3000 grafts are collected first. Then, while the grafts are kept, 3000 channels are opened for the placement of the hair follicles and 3000 grafts that are kept in the appropriate environment after the grooving process are completed are placed into the individual channels.
In a 3000 graft transplant with DHI hair transplantation, 3000 grafts are collected first. The grafts are then implanted and implanted without waiting. In DHI planting, the grooving process is not expected.
Approximately 20 to 50 implantable pens are used in DHI operations. The collected grafts are immediately placed in the pens and planted. The hollow implant is refilled and 3000 grafts are finished.
No comment yet, add your voice below!